Thursday, December 15, 2005

An Ice Storm-The Weather and My Knee

We're in the middle of a nasty ice storm. It started early evening and has continued and gotten much worse. I put The Girls out to do their last pee pee of the night, and poor Campbell got stuck on an ice patch. I couldn't get her to move to come back inside, and I couldn't get down the porch steps as they are covered in ice. I ended up having to get in the truck and drive up to the front, coax her off the ice, then shove her in the truck and drive back to the garage. It's always something with that one....Barrett, on the other hand, went out, peed, and came right back in and hopped into her crate. I always thought she was the dense one. Good motherly instincts on my part.

Joe kicked my ass tonight. This was my fifth session with him at the new gym in town. I'm already starting to feel the results, but haven't been able to see them yet. He's a really great motivator, without be all cheerleader-ish. If that was the case, I'd have to kill him. On Tuesday, we worked upper body, then Joe had me hop on the elliptical machine and go out a full sprint for two minutes. Two minutes didn't sound like a long time, but about 20 seconds into it, I realized I hadn't run in about 5 years. Well, I was huffing and puffing, but I completed my two minutes (and at a mighty nice clip, I might add). Tonight, though, I hopped on for just a minute to get my heart rate up and had a little pop in the surgically repaired left knee. My sprint came to a screeching halt and there was a mild panic about how badly I had hurt myself. Luckily, the sharp shooting pains passed, and I went about my work out. I did, however, whip the cryo packs out of the freezer and wrap my knee up when I got home. The swelling is looking better.

We set the tree up tonight. Having it standing up in the kitchen was just not doing it for me. John moved it into the living room, and we had a Clark Griswold moment when we cut the netting from the tree. Thankfully, the branches didn't blow out any windows, but I've got one fat tree in my living room. I plan on decorating tomorrow evening. Hopefully John will be finished with this ice storm and will participate in trimming the tree. I'm not holding my breath, but one can always hope!

I need to finish up some work then it's off to bed. Here's hoping the roads are clear in the morning!

5 comments:

BrewCards said...

More Frickin'Pecker Ice? That's not good.

If the knee is still bothering you, I'm sure you know where the "pain killers" are.

Oberkfell3B said...

I'd shoot that one dog if I were you.

Hera said...

Oooooo, Obie is in trouble! Make that a double. ;-p

I miss my personal trainer. She was such a motivator. Of course, I just speak of my best friend but she still worked me out. Motivating myself sucks. Keep it up, Deb.

UnHoly Diver said...

The two words I hate to hear most during the winter are freezing rain. That same storm slammed us all day yesterday. My street looks clear, so if I can get the 3 inches of ice of my car, I can get out to the store.

Cardinal70 said...

Freezing rain is about all we get down here, and even that's not usually enough to cause any problems.

Congrats on sticking with the training, Deb! You're truly an inspiration. For someone. Not this lazy butt. I'm staying right here on the couch, thank you very much.