Monday, November 07, 2005

My Whole Foods Experience

My friend Mike came for a visit on Saturday. Mike used to live in LA and was the Account Manager for my company at his fulfillment location. Mike (aka Puss) and I became fast friends while working together and have continued our relationship through the trials and tribulations of Puss leaving his company and moving back East. Puss has settled in a lovely home overlooking a fabulous babbling brook in upstate NY. Luckily, he is not far from me and we are able to visit.

It took a while, but Puss finally made it down to my neck of the woods on Saturday. We had planned on having lunch and doing a little window shopping for the day. I remembered Mike telling me that he loved
Whole Foods and I mentioned to him that there was a market not far from me. I had never been, but since I trust Mike with all my heart, I knew he could never lead me astray when it came to lunch. We joyously decided to head to Whole Foods, have a bite in their cafe, pick up some goodies for dinner, then walk the quaint streets of downtown Madison.

For whatever reason, I was under the impression that Whole Foods was a kind of health nut food store. Much to my surprise, it was nothing of the sort. There is all kinds of fabulous foods, from fresh fish, cheeses and meats to prepared foods available for dine in or take out. I'm talking sesame tofu, braised beef brisket, macaroni & cheese, sushi, pasta salads, fresh baked goods and decadent desserts. I was in complete astonishment. The real kicker is that they sell wine in their store, which is not something we do in Jersey. So not only can you get your regular grocery shopping done, you can also swing by the wine department for a little wine and cheese tasting (definitely right up my alley). Nothing like knocking back a few while you cruise the aisles.

Puss and I had such a fabulous time shopping, and we were so tuckered out from our little adventure in Whole Foods that we decided to munch on some hors d'oeuvres and drink a fabulous new wine he picked up and then order dinner in so no one had to cook. It was such a great day-I just wish my little Puss could have stayed longer. Next time.

So my first experience at Whole Foods was simply spectacular and I will be going again. If there is a Whole Foods nearby, I highly suggest you stop in.

8 comments:

BrewCards said...

"The real kicker is that they sell wine in their store, which is not something we do in Jersey."

What's wrong with you people in Jersey? I have at least 6 places that sell wine within 2 miles of my house.

Deb said...

I have 6 places that sell wine within 2 miles of my house as well, but they're called "liquor stores." We don't sell beer or wine in the grocery stores here. I miss that about Alabama. I could pick up my corn flakes and Boone's Farm all in one shot. :)

BrewCards said...

:~p
Sorry, not counting liquor stores, I still have 4 stores that sell wine. Now if you count all the gas stations that sell beer...

UnHoly Diver said...

Here in Virginia, only hard liquor is sold in liquor stores. Wine and beer are sold in grocery and convenience stores.

Oh, Boone's Farm...brings back some bad memories for me.

Hera said...

Yes, it's interesting the selling practices of the South. Gotta hide all that not so decent behavior "liquor" stuff. The one thing I will miss when finally I get out of here, and move south, is the ease of purchasing food, tampons and liquor all in one stop. ;)

Oh and that sounds like a fun way to spend your weekend, Deb. Always nice to see old friends.

UnHoly Diver said...

The first time I ever went into a store that sold both beer and liquor was in Upstate NY, after my dad died. I was shocked, because I was so used to our ABC stores here. But then again, Virginia has always been a bass-ackwards state...

Cardinal70 said...

I'm sure it won't surprise you to know that I live in what is termed a "dry county." So there's no wine/beer/etc. for a good twenty miles or so.

The food sounds wonderful, though!

Oberkfell3B said...

We have 2 Whole Foods locations in St. Louis. They are awesome. The Deli alone is worth a visit!